Pack­a­ging licen­sing – what’s it all about?

Under the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act, pack­a­ging licen­sing, or par­ti­ci­pa­ting in a dual sys­tem, is obli­ga­to­ry for both manu­fac­tu­r­ers and retail­ers who place sales or grou­ped pack­a­ging – refer­red to as initi­al dis­tri­bu­tors – on the mar­ket in Ger­ma­ny. This means that anyo­ne who fills pack­a­ging that is sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on with goods for the first time must obtain a licence for it. In other words, they must par­ti­ci­pa­te in the dual sys­tem. This appli­es regard­less of whe­ther pla­cing the pack­a­ging on the mar­ket is sub­ject to a fee or not.

With our licence cal­cu­la­tor, you can work out the licence fee for your pack­a­ging volu­me in just a few clicks and sign a licence agree­ment online. Plea­se note: Fail­ure to meet your legal obli­ga­ti­on to par­ti­ci­pa­te in a sche­me can result in seve­re pen­al­ties, or even a dis­tri­bu­ti­on ban. To avo­id this, regis­ter for your licence here.

Verpackungslizenzierung Mann hält lizenzierte Verpackung

Pack­a­ging licen­sing in three simp­le steps

Let us gui­de you through the pro­cess of obtai­ning a pack­a­ging licence with Noven­tiz Dual

Regis­ter with the data­ba­se LUCID, the Cen­tral Agen­cy Pack­a­ging Regis­ter.

Use our licence cal­cu­la­tor to deter­mi­ne the annu­al licence fee paya­ble for your esti­ma­ted sales pack­a­ging volu­me and sign a con­tract with us in just a few clicks. You will need to enter your regis­tra­ti­on num­ber.

In this step you enter the plan­ned pack­a­ging volu­me into the LUCID Pack­a­ging Regis­ter.

Schritt 4: Jahresabschluss Mengenmeldung

Year-end data report:

At the begin­ning of each year, you report the actu­al amount of pack­a­ging from the pre­vious year to us and to the cen­tral regis­ter. Here, you report the amount of pack­a­ging sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on that was actual­ly put into cir­cu­la­ti­on.

How much does the pack­a­ging licence cost?

Frau beteiligt Verpackungen bei Noventiz

Use our online licence cal­cu­la­tor to find out how much it will cost to par­ti­ci­pa­te with your pack­a­ging volu­me. If you wish, you can sign a pack­a­ging licen­sing agree­ment imme­dia­te­ly.

Your bene­fits with Noven­tiz

Noventiz Team während eines Meetings im Besprechungsraum

Who needs a pack­a­ging licence?

Whe­ther or not a manu­fac­tu­rer or retail­er is obli­ged to licen­se its sales pack­a­ging depends on whe­ther any pack­a­ging sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on is put into cir­cu­la­ti­on in Ger­ma­ny. Accor­din­gly, com­pa­nies that only pro­du­ce the pack­a­ging mate­ri­al its­elf are not con­side­red to be manu­fac­tu­r­ers within the mea­ning of the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act.

Help us to pro­tect the envi­ron­ment

Tog­e­ther for more sus­taina­bi­li­ty

The aim of the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act is to mini­mi­se the envi­ron­men­tal impact of pack­a­ging. To this end, the law defi­nes who is respon­si­ble for the pack­a­ging: the par­ty that first places the packa­ged goods on the mar­ket. This is the par­ty that pays a fee to the dual sys­tems. The inco­me from the­se fees is used to pay for us to dis­po­se of and recy­cle the pack­a­ging. Ulti­m­ate­ly, this helps us all to save important resour­ces and pro­tect our envi­ron­ment.

    Use our online CO2 cal­cu­la­tor to find out how much CO2 you save by licen­sing your pack­a­ging.

    Sim­ply enter the mate­ri­al volu­me by cate­go­ry and kilo­gram­me per year


    This is the amount of CO2 you will save by par­ti­ci­pa­ting in the Noven­tiz dual sys­tem.


    kg CO2 equi­va­lent / year**

    Put your plan into action and save resour­ces!

    The­se are your CO2 savings if you par­ti­ci­pa­te in the Noven­tiz Dual Sys­tem.


    kg CO2 equi­va­lent / year**

    Beispiel für ein Klimazertifikat von Noventiz

    When you sign a licence agree­ment, you will recei­ve a free cli­ma­te cer­ti­fi­ca­te to show your cus­to­mers how much CO2 you are saving by licen­sing your pack­a­ging.

    Quick info: The Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act

    What does the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act say?

    The Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act (Ver­packG) came into force on 1 Janu­ary 2019 with the aim of obliging tho­se who place pack­a­ging on the mar­ket to take respon­si­bi­li­ty for their pro­ducts. It ensu­res that manu­fac­tu­r­ers and retail­ers meet their obli­ga­ti­ons to take back and recy­cle their pack­a­ging.
    Anyo­ne who places packa­ged goods on the con­su­mer mar­ket for the first time must par­ti­ci­pa­te in a dual sys­tem with their pack­a­ging, in other words, par­ti­ci­pa­te in one of the dual sys­tems.

    How the dual sys­tems work

    Manu­fac­tu­r­ers, dis­tri­bu­tors and online retail­ers must licen­se their pack­a­ging that is sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on. Mana­ging this com­plex pro­cess is extre­me­ly cum­ber­so­me. This is whe­re dual sys­tems such as Noven­tiz Dual come in. Dual sys­tems ensu­re that as much of the pack­a­ging sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on as pos­si­ble is pro­per­ly coll­ec­ted from con­su­mers, sor­ted and recy­cled. Com­pa­nies pay a fee to the sys­tem in which they par­ti­ci­pa­te, the amount of which depends on the weight (mass) and mate­ri­al type of the sales pack­a­ging.

    Do you export goods?

    We can help you with pack­a­ging licen­sing across Euro­pe!

    Fre­quent­ly asked ques­ti­ons on pack­a­ging licen­sing

    If you place pack­a­ging on the mar­ket for the first time that ends up as was­te with pri­va­te final con­su­mers (e.g., yel­low bag/yellow bin), you are obli­ged to regis­ter with the Cen­tral Agen­cy Pack­a­ging Regis­ter and to report the pack­a­ging volu­me to the dual sys­tem.

    The volu­me of pack­a­ging sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on is irrele­vant – the­re is no de mini­mis limit. You are obli­ged to par­ti­ci­pa­te in a dual sys­tem – such as NOVENTIZ – start­ing from the first pack­a­ging you fill and/or ship. The­re are very few excep­ti­ons to this rule. Dis­tri­bu­tors, manu­fac­tu­r­ers, online retail­ers and small busi­nesses sel­ling through plat­forms such as eBay or Ama­zon must par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me with their sales pack­a­ging.

    Under the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act, you must par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me with all pack­a­ging pri­or to pla­cing it on the mar­ket, which is why it is recom­men­ded to licen­se your pack­a­ging that is sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on at the begin­ning of the calen­dar year. You sim­ply pro­vi­de an esti­ma­te of the pack­a­ging volu­me you intend to place on the mar­ket. The final licence fee is cal­cu­la­ted based on the type and weight (mass) of the pack­a­ging actual­ly dis­tri­bu­ted.

    Plea­se note: You should regis­ter and par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me befo­re offe­ring or pro­du­cing any goods, and cer­tain­ly befo­re pla­cing them on the mar­ket!

    The licence is gene­ral­ly valid for a full calen­dar year, this means even if you wish to obtain a licence from mid-year, you must regis­ter for the enti­re calen­dar year. Most dual sys­tems offer licence con­tracts run­ning from 1 Janu­ary to 31 Decem­ber.

    If you have fai­led to obtain a licence for your pack­a­ging that is sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on, you should do so as soon as pos­si­ble to avo­id fines or a dis­tri­bu­ti­on ban. To obtain a retro­s­pec­ti­ve licence, sim­ply decla­re the actu­al quan­ti­ty of pack­a­ging pla­ced on the mar­ket during the year in ques­ti­on. The year-end data report must be sub­mit­ted to the dual sys­tem – in this case, to us – and to the Cen­tral Agen­cy Pack­a­ging Regis­ter.

    Com­pa­nies are respon­si­ble for par­ti­ci­pa­ting in a dual sys­tem and for regis­tering with the LUCID Pack­a­ging Regis­ter. Fai­ling to report pack­a­ging that is sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on or report­ing incor­rect volu­mes is a breach of the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act, which is punis­ha­ble with a fine of up to 200,000 euros and a dis­tri­bu­ti­on ban. Fur­ther­mo­re, com­pa­nies in breach of the Pack­a­ging Act open them­sel­ves up to cea­se and desist let­ters from com­pe­ti­tors. Mar­ket par­ti­ci­pan­ts can easi­ly moni­tor each other’s com­pli­ance through the cen­tral regis­ter, which is open­ly acces­si­ble, crea­ting mutual­ly fair con­di­ti­ons.

    The­re is no de mini­mis limit for the obli­ga­ti­on to licen­se pack­a­ging. Manu­fac­tu­r­ers and retail­ers must par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me for each gram of sales pack­a­ging.

    At the other end of the sca­le, abo­ve a spe­ci­fied volu­me of pack­a­ging pla­ced on the mar­ket, the Pack­a­ging Act pro­vi­des for obli­ga­ti­ons bey­ond regis­tra­ti­on and licen­sing:

    Dis­tri­bu­tors are obli­ged to sub­mit a decla­ra­ti­on of com­ple­ten­ess, which must be con­firm­ed by a regis­tered expert, audi­tor, tax con­sul­tant or regis­tered accoun­tant and sub­mit­ted to the cen­tral regis­ter.

    A decla­ra­ti­on of com­ple­ten­ess beco­mes neces­sa­ry from the fol­lo­wing volu­me per year:

    • glass: 80,000 kilo­gram­mes
    • paper, paper­board, card­board: 50,000 kilo­gram­mes
    • pla­s­tics, metal, com­po­si­te mate­ri­als (in sum): 30,000 kilo­gram­mes

    Yes, the­re are. Food ser­vice pack­a­ging is fil­led at the point of sale, for ins­tance a sand­wich is wrap­ped into a paper bag. If the most recent dis­tri­bu­tor – in this case the bak­ery – is the first to fill the food ser­vice pack­a­ging and place it on the mar­ket, it does not neces­s­a­ri­ly have to have its own regis­tra­ti­on num­ber with a dual sys­tem. In this case, the bak­ery can use pre-licen­sed pack­a­ging or requi­re the pre­vious dis­tri­bu­tor to par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me with its own regis­tra­ti­on num­ber. Howe­ver, the most recent dis­tri­bu­tor must still par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me via the LUCID Pack­a­ging Regis­ter, indi­ca­ting that it is using pre-licen­sed pack­a­ging.

    Plea­se note that ship­ping pack­a­ging is sub­ject to man­da­to­ry par­ti­ci­pa­ti­on.

    No, you don’t, becau­se the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act only appli­es to pro­ducts that are pla­ced on the Ger­man mar­ket. Pro­ducts that are shipped/sold abroad are not sub­ject to the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act. The laws of the respec­ti­ve coun­try app­ly. When the pack­a­ging is first pla­ced on the mar­ket, the design or accom­pany­ing docu­men­ta­ti­on must pro­ve that the pack­a­ging will not be used in Ger­ma­ny but is inten­ded for export. If the pack­a­ging ends up with a final con­su­mer in Ger­ma­ny, you must par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me as soon as pos­si­ble.

    Plea­se note that many import­ing count­ries have their own laws on the dis­po­sal and reco­very of pack­a­ging and pack­a­ging mate­ri­als. Plea­se check the rele­vant natio­nal regu­la­ti­ons.

    Yes, they do. Any pack­a­ging impor­ted into Ger­ma­ny must par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me under the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act becau­se it ends up as was­te in pri­va­te con­su­mer house­holds within the scope of the Ger­man Pack­a­ging Act (Ger­ma­ny). The com­pa­ny import­ing such pack­a­ging into Ger­ma­ny is respon­si­ble for obtai­ning a licence. This is usual­ly the importer that brings or arran­ges the import of the goods into Ger­ma­ny.

    For­eign sel­lers or retail­ers that sell direct­ly to cus­to­mers in Ger­ma­ny are obli­ged to par­ti­ci­pa­te in the sche­me with their pack­a­ging. This appli­es equal­ly to importers from insi­de and out­side the EU.

    Licen­sing pack­a­ging from Chi­na

    We also offer pack­a­ging licen­sing for export­ers of goods – and the­r­e­fo­re pack­a­ging – from Chi­na to Ger­ma­ny.